Welcome to my worlds!

I'm James Maxey, author of fantasy and science fiction. My novels include the science fantasy Bitterwood Saga (4 books) the Dragon Apocalypse Saga (4 books), numerous superhero novels including Nobody Gets the Girl and the Lawless series, the steampunk Oz sequel Bad Wizard, and my short story collections, There is No Wheel and Jagged Gate. This website is focused exclusively on writing. At my second blog, Jawbone of an Ass, I ramble through any random topic that springs to mind, occasionally touching on religion and politics and other subjects polite people are sensible enough not to discuss in public. If you'd like to get monthly updates on new releases, as well as preview chapters and free short stories, join my newsletter!




Thursday, July 19, 2012

Three Blog Posts in One!


One reason I haven't posted here in a few weeks is because I've recently been invited to write a lot of blog posts elsewhere, all of which just went live this week. 


First, over at the Odyssey live journal, I discuss the very important writing skill of knowing when to give up on a story: ...One dividing line between the professional and the amateur writer is developing that instinct for setting aside work that isn’t up to par. Sometimes, it takes a dozen drafts to figure out that a story should never be shown to the world. Often, you know the truth ten minutes after you reach the end of a first draft. With enough practice, you’re able to reject a flawed story before you ever type a word. It sounds like a certain recipe for low self esteem, but trust me, you won’t believe how much time this opens up to work on good material.


For more insights on this, click here. 


Next, I've got a post up at Rowena Cory Daniells site where I talk about my inspiration for writing Hush: There’s not a lot of moral knowledge to be gained from knowing that the sun and stars are distant balls of hot gas. The idea that the heavens were the abode of gods, and that we might learn from their stories, now seems quaint. But, these myths continue to resonate on an emotional level. There’s something deeply satisfying about looking at a night sky and thinking of it as a canvas for sagas of love and betrayal, cowardice and courage. I’m hoping to capture a bit of this mythic grandeur in my tale of dueling dragons and the humans swept up in their battles. 


To visit her blog, click here.


Finally, at the SF Signal Mind Meld, I was invited to answer the question of why so many fantasy novels default to using the political structure of monarchies. About a dozen fantasy writers tackle the question, where I confess my own use of the trope: I do admit that one of the protagonists in Greatshadow, the first book in the series, is a princess, though she’s run away from that life and has spent all her adulthood making a living as a sword-for-hire. In one scene she beats a man to death with his own severed arm. I’m expecting a phone call from Disney any day now.


Further insights may be found by clicking here.


Coming soon: Big news about Witchbreaker, and a guest post by Rowena Cory Daniells! 

No comments: